Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Tis the Season

for Caramel Apples
These are delicious!
Recipe:
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup corn syrup
1 stick butter
1 tsp vanilla
pinch salt (?)
8 small tart apples
bring to boil sugar, corn syrup, butter and 3/4 cup of the cream and allow to boil until rich brown color (see below for tragic results of not boiling long enough). This can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 30 minutes or so. Then add rest of cream (1/4 cup), vanilla, and salt. Remove from heat and cool 2 minutes then dip your apples.
Now, here is my first attempt at these. I didn't boil it long enough so the caramel was just a light glaze, you can't really even see it on the apple and it never really hardened on the apple. It was a mess. Then we decided to drizzle chocolate on them (WHAT ?) they looked - um well, not so great.
Seriously you can laugh!
Now the second time I tried these they turned out much better. The Caramel was delicious all because I boiled it until it was a RICH BROWN! Now you can't see the caramel on these because I coated it with white chocolate and then sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on top. They don't look all that beautiful, but they sure tasted good, and they are a large step better looking than the above.
ENJOY!


2 comments:

  1. sounds yummy. I can't wait to try it.

    Ruth had a good idea, we need to put our names at the end of the post so we know who posted it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, I really want to know who made that apple look like that! J/k

    ReplyDelete